Select foods from each category or use your own favorites. Combine in a lightly greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for about 50 min to an hour. Or throw it in the microwave at 50% power for 15-30 minutes. (Achieving 165 degrees throughout)
Grain - Select 1
- 2 cups cooked pasta
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
Protein – Select 1
- 2 cups cooked ground beef
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, ham, beef or pork
- 2 cups chopped hard-cooked eggs
- 2 (6-8oz) cans tuna or salmon
- 2 cups cooked or 1 (16 oz) can beans
Vegetable – Select 1 or more
- 1 (10 oz) pkg thawed and drained frozen broccoli, green beans, peas or spinach
- 1 (16 oz) can green beans, corn, carrots or peas
- 2 cups sliced fresh zucchini
Sauce – Select 1
- 2 cups white sauce (use simple evaporated milk recipe)
- 1 can sauce-type soups: cream of mushroom. Cheese, tomato, cream of celery.
- 1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup chopped celery, ½ cup chopped onions and ¼ cup sliced black olives
Seasonings – Select 1 or more
- 1-2 tsp. mixed dried herbs: basil, parsley, thyme, tarragon or marjoram.
- Salt and Pepper
Simple enough! Just use what you’ve got and if you get your kids involved helping you find ingredients to make a new “concoction” they’ll be excited to try something new!
After taking out of the oven or microwave and you’re still thinking it needs something,
Toppings – Select 1 or more
- 2 T. grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Swiss, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ buttered bread crumbs
- ¼ - ½ cup canned fried onions
Return casserole with topping(s), uncovered to oven for abut10 minutes, or microwave for about 2 minutes.